Tuesday, May 13, 2008

You'll Have to Take It Up With Him

On our way back from a field trip to a historical museum, we stopped at Wal-Mart to buy some little snack cakes for Michael. He had been asking for "cake" and had behaved very well in order to get some. (A real bargaining chip that worked perfectly). Mommy went into the store to get them, and Daddy, Michael and I stayed in the car. Michael asked "Where'd Mommy go?" Daddy answered that she went into the store to buy him some snack cakes, and she would be right back. This, of course, was followed by "Why?" Daddy responded because you've been good and you've been asking for cake. Again, Michael asked Why?...I don't know, because Mommy loves you....Why?...Because Mommy gave birth to you...Why? [At this point, I was a little apprehensive, because I was thinking that a "Where do things come from" discussion was looming very large] Fortunately, James' response was "Because God made you"....Why?... You'll have to take it up with Him.

For some reason, the car became very quiet, and Michael didn't say a word. He didn't even ask why. Apparently the curiosity had been quenched even if it was for a short period of time.

No comments: