Saturday, May 10, 2008

Taking In the Garbage (Can)

Fridays are trash days, and so we put the trash can at the end of the driveway for the men in the big truck to pick up. In the evening, Andrea, Michael & I went to a nearby park that had a lake, and he played on the playground equipment with steps and slides. He preferred if I went down with him at the same time, and then demanded that Mommy follow. On our way home, we happened to see Daddy driving home, so he pulled off to the side and gave Michael a ride the rest of the way home, because Michael was so excited to see him. Since they beat both Mommy & I home, Michael ran to the end of the driveway to meet us. Mommy grabbed the empty trash can to take back up, but Michael screamed "Michael do it." He refused to have any assistance in moving it, and stood there for just a bit trying to figure out how to do it himself. I offered to lift him up so he could grab the bar, but he screamed "No," so apparently I hadn't provided the solution he was looking for. Daddy hit the goldmine when he suggested that he lift up the front end which lowers the back end just enough for Michael to grab hold of. Michael thought this was an acceptable solution, and they proceeded, very slowly, down the driveway. Once we were inside, Michael had to inform us that "I did it". He doesn't say it just once either, it's like he feels the need to remind us that he is completely capable of helping take in the trash, and we shouldn't forget it!

No comments: