Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Raining Acorns

In the last couple of weeks our big tree in the backyard has been raining acorns on our deck. While you may not think this is a big deal, it certainly is to Michael because his room is near the deck, and since some of the acorns fall on the deck in the middle of the night he can hear them and he gets scared. From what I assume to be somehow related to the nut family, acorns do not have a gentle whisper when they fall, but rather a sharp almost pinging noise on the wood. Michael and I happened to be out on the deck when it was somewhat windy, and the acorns started falling all around us. I told Michael that we had to go in or we would get hit on the head by an acorn. He, in this instance showed no fear...He could hear the noise, but I am not sure if he connected the noise with acorns he saw falling, or also connected that to the sounds he hears in the middle of the night to know that it isn't anything to be afraid of. Soon enough it will be winter again, and he won't be able to hear the snow fall, so maybe he will sleep better then.

No comments: