Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Lord's Prayer

James & Andrea have been working with Michael on saying The Lord's Prayer at bedtime. They have also been working very hard to get Michael to say "Miss Tammy" instead of Michael's version that comes out as "Nanny." He can say Thomas the Tank Engine Choo Choo, as plain as day, but when we ask him to say Miss Tammy, he insists on calling me "Nanny" or "My Nanny." This evening at bedtime, James, Andrea & I were all in Michael's bedroom, and Andrea was repeating The Lord's Prayer, with Michael following along, with very good pronunciation. We had made it through almost half the prayer, "Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven, Give us this day our daily bread." Then he got to the part that says "And forgive", but instead of saying "And forgive us our trespasses," without missing a beat, Michael said "And forgive Nanny." The prayer sort of ended on a sour note, at least for me. I am not sure if James or Andrea knew what to think. Not that I am denying that there is probably a lot that I do need to be forgiven on a daily basis, but do I really need to be reminded of that by a two year old? I am quite aware that he copies absolutely everything anyone around us does, but I do not have the foggiest idea where "and forgive Nanny" came from. That's a little mystery to ponder.....

No comments: