Saturday, March 29, 2008

O Be Careful Little Tongue...

I always thought that was a cute little song when I was a kid, but I guess I never really understood the significance. Of course, we are supposed to watch what we say, but I guess I hadn't given it much thought until Michael started to imitate what we say. Last night, when we were in the middle of our re-arranging the house project, I was going into the garage to get a very large box (it had been broken down, but was still large). Michael saw me heading to the garage, and ran over saying "I help!" I didn't see the project as dangerous, so I let him come, but I had to carry him because he didn't have any shoes on, and the cement floor in the garage is cold. While trying to get the box loose from the other boxes it is stored with, and only having one hand free to maneuver, it came out in a different manner than I was expecting and I just unconsciously said "Whoa". It didn't even hit me what I had said until I heard an echo, copying even my inflection of voice, saying "Whoa!" It occurred to me that I am very glad I am not in the habit of swearing, because that would have been a very bad example.

James and Andrea have also noticed this, and when he does something, they try and figure out who he learned it from (ie. those who can be congratulated, and those who are not). Andrea had also told me that Michael had been laying on the floor with his hands behind his head, and that they had finally figured out that when I relax, that's what I do. It had never occurred to me that I do that, so it was kind of disconcerting to realize he picks up on things that don't even register to me that I'm doing. It also makes me wonder what else he has picked up from me, that I am not as of yet aware of. Perhaps we will discover that in the future...Great....another thing to obsess and worry about....

No comments: