Sunday, March 23, 2008

But Mocha's Doing It !!


On Friday, I had the day off work for Good Friday so I stayed home with Michael, because both Mommy & Daddy had to work. It was snowing again, and we decided to go outside and play in the snow. After throwing a temper tantrum about now wanting to put his clothes back on after I changed his diaper, I told him that he couldn't go outside unless he let me put his clothes on. Finally, he agreed, so I got him all dressed up in his snow suit, and ventured out, with Mocha in the lead. (Mocha loves snow!!) There were several inches on the ground, so it was very difficult for Michael to walk in it, and he kept falling down, and said "Help" and patiently waited for me to help him get back up. This became a game, where he would take a step, intentionally fall down, ask for my help, and then once I helped him stand up, he would throw a snowball at me. In the meantime, Mocha had been running around like a speeding bullet, and then had found or maybe smelled something in the snow and started digging with her nose in the snow. Michael thought this was a grand idea to be just like Mocha, but then of course when he put his nose in the snow, it wasn't just his nose that got covered with snow, but his whole face, and he started screaming. I just had to quick snap a picture before I helped him brush the snow off his face.

Isn't it interesting who we choose to follow? Michael loves Mocha, so of course, he wants to do everything Mocha does. How do you explain to a child that it is not such a good idea? It didn't matter to him that I told him he shouldn't be sticking his face in the snow...He thinks if Mocha does it, then why can't I?

In strictly human terms, who do we (as adults) decide to follow? It's even more important to think about who we follow and why because children mimic us. They see what we do and what we say and they want to be just like us...Are we setting a good example?

No comments: