Its amazing how a little child can make you feel ashamed of how callous and unfeeling you are. Recently, I was considering a trip abroad to Europe with my alma mater. They were having an alumni & friends trip, and I was very excited because I spent a semester abroad during my senior year in college. Unfortunately, due to the weak dollar, the trip was a lot more than I had expected, and I was joking with James & Andrea about how I was going to save quarters instead of just pennies, and I wasn't sure if I could save enough. Since I had considered this an adult topic of conversation, and was pretty much being glib and joking around, I hadn't paid much attention to Michael. What caught my attention was that without a word he went over to his piggy bank, got the little plastic piece off, and starting digging out his money. Neither James, Andrea or I could figure out what he was trying to do, and so finally we asked him. He said "I Help!", and started putting little hand fulls of change in my hands. I was absolutely speechless and felt like I had just been punched in the gut. How precious is it, when a child has a heart full of compassion for someone in need, especially without someone telling them to do so? It is simply amazing to me, and I hope and pray that there are many youngsters in the world today like that, because if not, future generations will definitely live to regret it.
Unfortunately for me, the trip with my alma mater isn't going to happen, but instead my family and I are contemplating still going abroad, but with more of a focus on our family history instead of just the typical rushed bus tour, and at a time that is more conducive with all of our schedules.
1 comment:
This was such a precious story tammy!! It as truly a story that touched my heart!
Post a Comment